The mission of the Saratoga Springs City Attorney’s Office is to provide timely and accurate legal advice to the City and its elected officials, officers, and employees, vigorously and effectively defend the City’s legal rights, operations, and interests, and vigorously, justly, and effectively prosecute those who violate public policy, trust, or criminal law.
About the Attorney's Office
The City Attorney’s Office performs legal services on behalf of the City of Saratoga Springs. It does not represent or provide legal advice to individual citizens or businesses.
Attorneys advise the Mayor, City Council, Manager, and employees in all areas of municipal civil law. These functions include:
- Drafting and reviewing contracts
- Advising the City on all aspects of local government law, including land use law, civil rights, construction law, real estate, and employment law
- Drafting and reviewing municipal and State legislation
- Advising on insurance and risk management issues
- Defending and prosecuting lawsuits to protect the rights and interests of the City and its officers, employees, and elected officials
- Managing outside legal counsel
- Managing or engaging in appellate advocacy before all State and Federal courts
Attorneys prosecute misdemeanors, including class A misdemeanors, and handle appeals from the Justice Court to District Court. In addition, they
- Advise the Police Department regarding warrants, investigations, and other criminal matters
- Civilly abate public nuisances
- Assist in the enforcement of City ordinances and codes including building, fire, and housing codes, land use law, and zoning law